Scribes and Scripture Conference
April 24, 2020 to April 25, 2020
- April 24, 2020:
- April 25, 2020:
Location: 530 S. Pantano Rd. (Worship Center), Tucson, AZ 85710Category: All Church Events
A CONFERENCE ON THE HISTORY OF THE BIBLE
How did a set of books written in multiple languages by dozens of authors across thousands of years become the Bible we know and trust today? How were the books chosen? How well was the text hand copied and how is it translated into English?
Explore the answers to these questions and more with Scribes & Scripture, a series of talks by Dr. John Meade and Dr. Peter Gurry on the history of the Bible. Whether you’re a skeptic looking for answers, or a believer looking to strengthen your faith, this conference is designed for you.
- Early-bird Discounted Rates ends March 15, 2020
$15/person | $10/student
- Registration between March 16 and April 24.
$20/person | $15/student
FRIDAY EVENING- 6:00-9:00PM
- Old Testament text - Meade
- New Testament text - Gurry
Q&A - Meade & Gurry
SATURDAY MORNING - 8:30-11:30AM
- The canon of Scripture - Meade
- Modern translations - Gurry
Q&A - Meade & Gurry
HOW IT WORKS:
- With expertise that spans both testaments, John and Peter bring a unique combination of knowledge that covers how the entire Bible was copied, canonized, and translated to become the book millions of Christians around the world read and trust. As teachers and scholars, they are eager to help Christians understand and appreciate how we got the Bible.
DR. JOHN MEADE: Associate Professor of Old Testament at Phoenix Seminary, Co-Director of Text & Canon Institute
John teaches Old Testament language and literature courses along with Greek electives and Biblical Theology at Phoenix Seminary. He studied the textual history of the Greek and Hebrew Old Testament at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary where he completed his MDiv and PhD. He is the Co-Director of Phoenix Seminary’s Text & Canon Institute and is a contributor of the Hexapla Institute and is a member of Trinity Bible Church.
DR. PETER GURRY Assistant Professor of New Testament at Phoenix Seminary, Co-Director of Text & Canon Institute
Peter teaches courses in Greek Language and New Testament literature at Phoenix Seminary. He completed his ThM at Dallas Theological Seminary and his PhD at the University of Cambridge where he studied the textual history of the New Testament. He is the Co-Director of Phoenix Seminary’s Text & Canon Institute and has worked with CSNTM and the Museum of the Bible. He is a member at Whitton Avenue Bible Church.