Passage: Judges 6–8
Community Group Questions: Judges 6-8 - "Gideon: God's Warrior"
Printing Instructions: To print these discussion questions for use in your Community Group or other study, first highlight the text, then right click and select "print" from the dropdown menu that appears.
Talk and read through the major events of Gideon’s adventure in Judges 6-8 as a group, and then work through the following discussion questions:
- Discuss the trauma Israel was enduring during Gideon’s time and how they adjusted their lives (Judges 6:1-6).
- Who were the two messengers found in chapter 6:7-11, and what was their message?
- Why do you think God chose Gideon to lead His people to freedom? (Judges 6:13-15)
- Why was it said Sunday that the event in chapter 6:25-32 was perhaps the pivotal “spiritual decision” in the life of Gideon?
- At what point in this narrative did Gideon finally put his trust in God? What action did he take that showed this change of heart? (Judges 6)
- After the victory, what was happening as Gideon responded to the people in chapter 8:22-23?
- Why does Hebrews 11:32 tell of this man Gideon?
- Discuss what we learn about God through His encounter with Gideon and the camel riding illiterates.
- Among other things, this narrative tells of:
1. God’s enduring love and forgiving heart toward His people;
2. God’s unquestionable, hands-on interaction with the daily affairs of His people.
3. God’s desire that we live by faith.
What wrong thinking can cloud our thoughts in these three truths listed above?
- Guilt, shame, worthlessness, unworthiness?
- Practical Deism?
Prayer suggestion: Pray for the families in the community group, and for the families in our larger church. Pray that we would all take the next step of faith God has called us to. Also, pray that we would not “buy in” to the lies and deception of the evil one.